Friday, July 09, 2010

The Best Decision

Dan and I recently celebrated our 14th Wedding Anniversary!!! I still can't believe we have been married 14 years? We always get a lot of surprised looks from people 1) I guess we are considered a young couple 2) we have young children. I am not sure where the time has gone, but I really don't feel much older than the day I got married. I still remember the day when I took my decision (to marry Dan), to the Lord. I will never forget the anxious feelings I had, but the most assured answer I received..."YES". It was a still, but firm, soft voice. Even though I was only 1 month away from turning 19yr (still a baby), I knew my marriage to Dan would be the best decision I ever made. Well, 14 years later, I am proud to say that I am more "in love" with Dan than ever before. I wish I could say we have had 14 years of Bliss...but I would be lying if I said our marriage was perfect. We have had our ups and downs and trials along the way, but we are stronger because of them. I know many family and friends doubted our decision, because I was so young. My mom has always said that either 1 of 2 things will happen: 1) "you grow up and then get married...OR 2) "you get married and then grow up." In my case, I got married and then grew up. I never questioned my maturity in getting married so young, but I have matured in so many ways in our 14 years of marriage. I always get chills when I hear the General Authorities speak about "love" and the fact that they (at the age of 70yr.) are just now beginning to understand what love really is. There was a time in my life, that I was embarrassed to tell people my age and even questioned myself, "did I make the right decision?" However, I am proud to say that the decision I made at 18 yr. was right for me. I don't think the decision to marry young is right for everybody, but because of my experiences with Dan...I am so glad I made the decision to marry. I am not sure what the next 14 years will bring us, but I wouldn't miss it for the world!

4 comments:

Josh and Jillian said...

Happy Anniversary! Love you guys!

The Cook Family said...

I remember very well when you and Dan got married. It was such a beautiful day, and the spirit was very strong. I'm so grateful you married the man of your dreams. He is such a blessing to our family. I love you both so much. You have done so much for me over the years, and I just want to thank you for that. Happy Anniversary!

All the Cousins! said...

Dan and Nicole,

Happy (late) anniversary! I'm so glad you made that decision, too! We love living near you and I know our friendships will continue even when we aren't neighbors!

Brittnee said...

Oh Nicole, I have a tear! Happy late Anniversary to you two! Because you were the first of our family to get married, you have set the standard high and have been a great example to me. I'm thankful for Dan too, what a guy! Love you mo much!