I am dedicating this post (inspired by Natalie) to my family, grandparents, and friends who have lost loved ones. The music selections to go with this post was performed by my dad's favorite singer: Garth Brooks
Today marks the 18th year since the passing of my dad, Evan Jay Ivie. I was only 14 yr. when he was tragically taken from this frail existence at the young age of 37yr. I love you dad, and will never forget what you believed in and the talents you possessed.
For my Grandpa and Grandma Ivie (passed away 1 year ago): Thank you for raising a wonderful son and living the gospel in such a way that is a measure of your true character! I am forever grateful for my Ivie heritage and love you both from the bottom of my heart!
For my mother: It boggles my mind to really understand what my Mom went through? She not only had to say goodbye to her husband, but raise 5 children; while being pregnant with a precious baby girl (who never got to meet or know her dad). Now as a mother of three children, whose husband recently turned 37yr., it would break my heart knowing I would have to raise 3 children without Dan! My mother has many amazing qualities, but the quality I most admire is her ability to endure to the end! Mom, I love you so much and will always look to you in admiration for you strength and faith in the Gospel.
For my sisters and brother: I remember so clearly the night my dad was killed. I remember a sense of responsibility I took upon myself in comforting my younger siblings. I did not know what to say or how to say it, but I knew I needed to be there to comfort them. As the years have gone by, my siblings have often been the ones to comfort me (especially Natalie, Brooke, and Brittnee). I have enjoyed watching each one grow and develop into amazing people. "Young Dayne" (as my dad often referred to him) has so many characteristics of my dad. I have watched him grow from "Young Dayne", to "Incredible Young Dayne"! My dad would be so proud (since Dayne was always his pride and joy). Devanee was 5 months away from being born when my dad passed away. She will graduate this year, and I have always felt that my dad was with her before she was born and even as a baby. She was without a father for 5 years, until my mom remarried. For all the times I felt alone not having a father in my life, I am grateful Devanee had the opportunity to have a step-father. l will be forever grateful to Todd, for raising her as his own. Devanee, you are a beautiful, bright young woman, with many talents!
For Valina: I want you to know how much I admire your strength when you lost both parents within months of one another. You have always been an example to me and your friendship (during the really hard times) meant the world to me! Thank you for everything...I love you.
Thursday, January 28, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


8 comments:
Okay I'm in tears.
This is beautiful.
I love you Nicole.
Very Beautiful Nicole! Your dad was a great man!
Thanks for those amazing thoughts. I know dad would be so proud of you and how you have taken care of us all. That wasn't an easy thing to be taking on...the oldest child trying to care for your siblings. I love you, Nic. You have always been a strength to me and someone I look up to. We have an incredible heritage!
What a tender post! I can't imagine the experience, or the strength that you (and each of your family members) possessed to make it through such a hard time. But the thing I admire the most is how close your family is either as a result of, or in spite of, the tragedies in your lives. Love you! And thanks for sharing. :)
Nicole, that was beautiful, thank you so much for being my sister and good example. I thought about Dad all day yesterday. I love you so much!
Britt
Thanks for putting "the dance" on your playlist. I couldn't help but cry as I listened to that while I read your amazing tribute. I can't believe how young dad was....when you put it into perspective of Dan. I love you Nicole, thanks for that amazing post.
What a beautiful and heartfelt post Nicole. I remember the evening your father passed away and I could never imagine what you and your family went thru and always admired the strength each of you had-especially you (being the oldest) and your wonderful mother. Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and memories--you are such an inspiration. Love you!!!
OK, I am totally choked up! You are an amazing person and I couldn't have asked for a better friend! You were strength to me through high school(and college). Knowing you had already gone through what I had, losing our fathers in similar situations. I remember how my heart ached for you and your family when I found out about your dad. You are so strong and I love you so much! Thanks for being the perfect friend!
I would love to see you if you make it up this way. We live about 35 min. from SLC so I'd love to get together!
Post a Comment